Who we are: The Government Justice Center is an independent, not-for-profit legal center that provides pro bono representation and legal services to protect the rights of American taxpayers in the face of improper action by state or local governments. We believe our government functions best when held to the highest standards of transparency and accountability, and that government should follow the same laws to which private citizens are held. We work to make sure taxpayers get the transparency and due process they deserve and are entitled to.
Who you are: GJC is hiring a Vice President and Deputy Counsel— an attorney committed to advancing our public interest litigation mission, executing the organization’s strategies and ensuring excellent operations. Are you an attorney who wants to help keep state or local governments accountable? Do you think it would be more fulfilling to be a team player at a growing, close-knit and mission-focused organization rather than the never-ending law firm grind? Are you ready to be a leader advancing liberty with passion? We want to talk to you!
What our VP will do:
- Work with the President and Executive Director to execute with excellence the organization’s strategies
- Collaborate closely with the Executive Director on supporting GJC’s legal cases
- Serve as lead counsel for GJC and partner organizations in select cases under the guidance of the Executive Director
- Represent pro-bono clients in court and through other legal processes
- Represent the organization publicly in various fora, including the media, with allied organizations and the public
- Support branding, communications and marketing of the organization
- Support key functions and organizational growth (development, communications, outreach, litigation)
- Coordinate operations and strategies with like-minded organizations
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of litigation experience preferred
- Demonstrated interest in organizational leadership along with a demonstrated interest in lifelong learning and self-development
- Experience with staff management, marketing, communications, or operations preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively but also manage responsibilities independently
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills, media experience preferred
- Admitted to New York bar, or able to become admitted as soon as feasible
- A passion for the public policy issues on which GJC focuses, combined with a sense of humor
- Ability to travel occasionally
- An affinity with GJC’s approach to protecting citizens from improper government actions
When you’re ready to apply:
Help us understand why you might be a good fit for GJC and why we might be the right team for you. We suggest including:
- Your resume
- A cover letter addressing your interest and passion for GJC’s mission and the VP role
- A writing sample that reflects your approach to solving problems (e.g. case brief, op-ed, memo—whatever you think demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively)
- Feel free to include something creative (e.g. a video, a meme, etc.)
GJC has retained Steadfast LLC to help with this search. Steadfast is committed to ensuring that both hiring managers and applicants have a great experience in all stages of the recruiting process. Please submit your application materials in pdf form by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com. Unfortunately, we’re not able to respond to phone calls but inquiries and applications will receive a response from our Steadfast partners.